COVID-19 TRAVEL INFORMATION
& ONSITE SAFETY PROTOCOLS
As it has always been, the safety and security of our guests and team remains our highest priority. We are doing everything we can at our La Jolla, CA hotel to ensure your travel safety and provide maximum flexibility as the situation around novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve. We will continue to update this page with the latest information regarding booking flexibility, workforce, and travel safety.
The Grande Colonial remains open. The following travel restrictions are in place under the orders of the California Department of Public Health. Click HERE to learn more about the State’s travel advisory.
- Travel from within the State of California is permitted without restriction.
- It is recommended that travelers arriving from other states or countries adhere to the quarantine procedures.
We appreciate very much your support and patronage of the Grande Colonial Hotel and we look forward to making your travel experience as safe and as memorable as possible. Should you have any questions about our travel measures and safety protocols, please contact us (844) 589-4151.
Download Our Safe ReOpening Plan
For everyone’s safety, facial coverings are required in all indoor areas, and in outdoor areas when in close proximity to others.
Current Closures & Change in Hours of Operation:
- Food & Beverage:
- NINE-TEN Bar:
- Currently open for cocktail service with limited seating, Wednesday through Sunday, 2 pm to 9 pm.
- Food service from our regular dinner menu is available at the bar, Wednesday through Sunday, 5 pm to 9 pm
- NINE-TEN Restaurant:
- Currently closed for breakfast, lunch, and weekend Brunch.
- Indoor and outdoor dining is available for dinner service only, Wednesday through Sunday, 5 pm to 9 pm. Heat lamps and blankets available for outdoor dining.
- Curbside take-out is available for dinner only, Wednesday through Sunday. Pick-Up Available from 5:30 pm to 8 pm.
- Room Service:
- Breakfast room service is available daily from NINE-TEN from 7 am to 10 am. Learn More.
- Dinner room service is available from NINE-TEN, Wednesday through Sunday, 5 pm to 9 pm. Learn More.
- With the exception of non-refundable rates (i.e. Advance-Purchase promotions), reservations can be cancelled or changed without penalties up to 48 hours prior to arrival. Cancellations or modifications resulting in a reduction of the number of nights within the 48-hour period will result in a charge equal to one night’s room and tax.
- Guests who booked their reservations via online travel agents or other third-party travel professionals are advised to contact their booking provider for information about their cancellation and refund policies.
Worksite Specific Plan:
- A written Health and Safety Policy and Prevention Plan (HSPPP) has been prepared for the facility. This plan has involved a comprehensive risk assessment of all work areas. A designated Workplace Coordinator has been identified and is responsible to implement the plan.
- The San Diego County Department of Health and Human Services has been identified as the appropriate authority to provide guidance and direction to our facility, and the appropriate point of contact for communicating information regarding any outbreak at our facility.
- All employees will be trained on the HSPPP upon returning to work, upon hire, and on an annual basis as needed.
- Compliance with the plan will be monitored by the Workplace Coordinator. The plan will be reviewed monthly to provide updates as needed.
- Any positive test for COVID-19 within the staff will be investigated to determine if any work-related factors could have contributed to the risk of infection. If necessary, changes in the HSPPP will be implemented.
- In the case of a positive test for COVID-19, all close contacts will be identified and isolated as required in the HSPPP.
- All employees will be trained on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and on awareness of underlying health conditions that may make individuals more susceptible to contracting the virus.
- Employees are trained to self-screen at home prior to reporting to work using CDC guidelines.
- Employees are encouraged to not report to work should they exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 or if they live with someone who has received a positive diagnosis.
- Employees are encouraged to seek medical attention should they exhibit severe symptoms of COVID-19 per CDC guidelines.
- Employees are trained regarding the importance of frequent hand washing and are trained on proper hand washing procedures.
- Employees are trained on the importance of proper social distancing both at work and during off work time.
- Employees are trained on the proper use of face coverings, including the proper procedures for use and care of facial coverings.
- Any temporary or contract workers will receive the training on COVID-19 and be required to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while at the facility.
- Employees will be trained on all employer or government-sponsored leave benefits.
- Employees are trained on hotel and restaurant safety protocols.
Control Measures & Screening:
- Temperature checks and symptom screening will take place for all employees at the beginning of their shift, prior to entering the facility.
- Employees are encouraged to self-screen prior to leaving their home for their shift and to follow CDC guidelines.
- Employees who are exhibiting symptoms are encouraged to stay home.
- Employees are provided PPE. A comprehensive study has been completed of all job tasks. Job specific PPE requirements are in place including use of disposable gloves, face shields or eyewear, disposable aprons and other measures.
- Face coverings are required at all times when an employee is in direct contact with the public and/or working within 6 feet of another employee.
- Employees are trained on the proper use and care of face coverings.
- Housekeepers will service rooms only when guests are not present. Housekeepers are trained to minimize contact with guests’ personal property. Housekeepers are encouraged to open windows and activate ceiling fans and air conditioning systems when servicing guest rooms.
- All employees are encouraged to wash hands after checking guests in or out, cleaning guest rooms, handling guest mail and packages. Valet staff, luggage handlers and housekeepers will wash their hands frequently. Luggage delivery will occur when guests are not present in their rooms.
- Housekeeping staff will be provided additional time allowing for more in-depth cleaning and sanitizing between guests.
- Housekeeping staff will wear face coverings, gloves and, when appropriate, protective eyewear.
- Guests will be informed of hotel COVID-19 related policies and procedures prior to their arrival via their confirmation and pre-arrival email.
- Additionally guests will be advised that the hotel reserves the right to cancel reservations for guests who exhibit COVID-19 symptoms.
- Guests will be screened upon arrival for symptoms of COVID-19, asked to utilize hand sanitizer, and required to wear face coverings. Face masks will be provided to guests who arrive without them. Signage will be prominently displayed outlining proper face covering usage and physical distancing practices throughout the hotel.
Cleaning & Disinfecting:
- In addition to putting in place enhanced ventilation protocols, such as increased outdoor air, reduced re-circulation, longer system run times and frequent filter checks, we have installed commercial-grade, Merv 13 air filtration systems throughout high traffic areas, including the restaurant and all meeting/event spaces.
- High traffic areas, such as the lobby, front desk, staircase handrails, elevator controls and public restrooms will receive frequent, thorough cleaning and sanitizing.
- Frequent touch points, such as door handles, light switches, will receive frequent sanitizing. Surfaces will be disinfected during daily room cleaning service.
- Staff will be provided additional time to perform these cleaning and sanitizing tasks.
- Shared workstations will be provided hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes.
- Sanitizing facilities will be kept well stocked and in proper operating order at all times.
- Cleaning supplies provided to employees will meet EPA standards approved for use against COVID-19. Employees performing cleaning tasks will be required to wear gloves as required by the product instructions.
- To reduce the risk of asthma, products that comply with asthma-safe cleaning methods will be selected.
- Vacuums will be equipped with HEPA filters, and where possible sweeping will be avoided.
- Use of shared equipment is discouraged. When not possible, shared equipment is to be cleaned before, during and after each shift. This includes phones, radios, computers, payment terminals, housekeeping carts and other direct contact items.
- Use of shared food and beverage equipment in offices and cafeterias has been discontinued. Touch points, such as microwaves and refrigerators, will be sanitized on a frequent basis.
- Reusable collateral, such as magazines, menus and local attraction details have been removed from all guest rooms. Critical information will be provided in either a single use format or electronically posted. As we have removed several of the more typical hotel room amenities to reduce physical contacts, these amenities are all still available for you upon request. An online version of our in-room guest compendium can be viewed here.
- Rooms equipped with kitchens will have all kitchen and dishware cleaned between guest stays, including any unused items in cabinets. All appliances, including refrigerator shelves, will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.
- Soiled linens will be removed and transported from guest rooms in single use, sealed bags. Bagging of these items will take place while still in the guest room to eliminate excess contact while being transported. Pillow protectors will be changed for each new guest. All guest room linens and towels will be washed at a high temperature and cleaned in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Whenever possible, guest rooms will be left vacant for 24 hours prior to or after cleaning before renting to a new guest.
- Daily housekeeping service will be modified based on guests’ requests. In cases where service is provided it will be done so without the guest present in the room. A period of 15 minutes will be allowed after the guest leaves the room prior to staff entering. Once in the room, windows will be opened to allow for the exchange of fresh air.
- Sneeze guards will be in place at the front desk. One guest or family unit at a time will be serviced.
- Credit card terminals accept contactless payment methodologies.
- Cleanliness protocols are posted on the hotel website.
- In the event of a guest presumptive case of COVID-19, the guest room will be removed from service and quarantined. The room will not be returned to service until the room has been cleaned and treated with enhanced sanitizing protocols in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers have been placed at key guest and employee entrances and contact areas.
- Hand sanitizer will be added to the in-room amenities for each guest. Face masks will be provided to guests upon arrival. Guests will be provided a COVID-19 Awareness Card upon arrival.
- Elevator buttons will be sanitized hourly, and hand sanitizer will be available at the lobby level.
Physical Distancing Guidelines:
- Physical distancing of at least six feet has been implemented between employees and others. Floor markings are in place in guest areas where a queue might develop.
- Physical distancing protocols have been implemented in all employee areas.
- Employee pre-shift meetings will be conducted in a manner that allows for proper physical distancing.
- Employee reports to work times and break times have been staggered to maintain physical distancing protocols.
- Office spaces have been modified allowing for proper physical distancing.
- Employees are discouraged from congregating in high traffic areas.
- Elevator use is limited to hotel guests only. Signage is posted to inform guests that use of the elevator is limited to those with whom they are traveling.
- Employees are required to avoid handshakes or other similar greetings that break physical distance.
- Hotel guests will enter through doors that are propped open while valet parking/greeter staff is on duty.
- A greeter will be present to advise arriving guests of physical distancing and face covering requirements.
Valet Parking & Bell Service Protocols:
- Valet staff should not open car doors.
- Valet staff will sanitize door handles, steering wheels, shift levers and keys. And will operate with vehicles while wearing face masks and gloves.
- Gloves will be changed after every vehicle.
- Guest room item delivery and pickup should be completed using contactless protocols.
- When guests are requesting assistance with luggage, employees will do so with gloves and other appropriate PPE and will sanitize the luggage cart after use.
- Restaurant operations have been modified in compliance with local health recommendations.
- Guests will be required to wear face coverings at all times while dining at the restaurant, including when seated at a table before the meal is served and after the meal is finished.
- Restaurant seating has been modified to allow for proper distancing.
- During each shift, one employee will be designated for routine sanitation, cleaning and disinfection of public areas.
- Enhanced disinfection of the top high-touch areas including door handles, tables, chairs, handrails, point-of-sale terminals and countertops.
- All re-usable products have been removed and replaced with single-use menus.
- Advance reservations are recommended. We are only accepting parties up to 8 guests.
- We will continue to adjust food and beverage service in accordance with current food safety recommendations provided by our County Health Department. Click here to learn more about the measures we have taken in our NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar.
Swimming Pool Protocols:
- Pool area chairs will be cleaned and sanitized frequently throughout the day.
- Pool free chlorine levels will be kept at 1-10 parts per million and a pH of 7.2-8.0.
- Towels will be washed at a high temperature and cleaned in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Pool seating locations will be modified to allow for proper physical distancing.
In-Room Massage Service Protocols:
- Guests must complete the digital Health + Environment Intake Form prior to service appointment. Any services that are deemed harmful at time of intake may result in cancellation of service with no cancellation fee.
- No shows will be charged full service amount.
- Therapists must take temperature immediately prior to service. Any temperature reading above 100 degrees will result in cancellation of service.
- Guests and therapists must wash hands immediately prior to service and it is recommended that guests shower immediately before and after service.
- Therapists must sanitize all surfaces prior to service with an antiviral/antibacterial cleanser and wash hands up to the upper arm or any part of the body used during massage service.
- Additional sanitization measures may be taken at the discretion of the guest or therapist (IE UV lamp, diffuser and/or air filters).
- It is requested that no cash be exchanged and that only signatures for room charge/credit card is the only exchange.